School of Art and Design: Associate or Full Professor – Visual Communication Design (Graphic Design)
Job Class Code: 10021
Posting Number: FRGV1403
Location: Rio Grande Valley
Division/Organization: Provost – Academic Affairs
Appointment Period for Non-Tenure Position:
Tenure Status: Tenured
Scope of Job:
The University of Texas Rio Grande Valley is seeking applications for a graphic design educator, researcher, and BFA Visual Communication Design Program Coordinator to help lead our large and already successful area into an even more promising future by keeping pace with an ever-changing industry. This is a tenured faculty position (rank of Associate or Full Professor) scheduled to begin in Fall 2023 (preferred) or open until filled.
- A terminal degree (MFA/MDes/Ph.D.) in Communication Design, Visual Communications, Graphic Design, or related fields from an accredited (recognized equivalent) university
- Exceptional knowledge in one or more areas of Digital Media Design (e.g., Web/Mobile/UI/UX)
- A record of successful university teaching in graphic design/visual communication. Record of professional activity and/or research that demonstrates established national recognition in the field of graphic design is paramount.
- Candidates will continue professional research relevant to the current and future practice of graphic design/visual communication.
- Demonstrate outstanding verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills.
- Applicants should have proven leadership experience within academic, corporate/industry, or community environments. Applicants should have a working knowledge of current practice, histography design, and theory design with a vision toward future developments.
- A commitment to quality, student-centered education and working as a team member and a demonstrated and ongoing commitment to serving diverse student populations is necessary. A diversity and inclusion statement will be asked of finalist.
- To be eligible for hire at the associate professor rank, the candidate must meet the requirements for that rank as established by the school. The successful applicant will receive the appropriate rank and title based on established university and school standards.
- The candidates eligible for the position must already have tenure at a comparable institution of higher education or be eligible to meet institutional requirements for tenure.
- In addition to the requirements for associate professor, appointment at the full professor rank requires an extensive and sustained record of quality research as well as an outstanding record of service and leadership that would qualify the candidate for tenure at UTRGV.
Discipline Specific Required Qualifications:
- Experience in interdisciplinary collaboration and forming industry partnerships regionally, nationally, and internationally.
- Record of professional activity and/or research demonstrating established national and emerging international recognition.
- Curriculum development for Graphic Design/Visual Communication.
- Excellent record of active participation in professional organizations
- Manage and mentor area faculty (Tenured, Tenure-track, Senior Lecturers, Adjuncts, and GTAs)
- Successful funding procurement and grant activity.
- Graduate-level research/ thesis supervision and advising experience.
- Online teaching experience.
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity with experience working with diverse student populations and first-generation students is highly desirable.
Salary: Commensurate with Qualifications and Experience
License or Certification Required?: No
Number of Vacancies: 1
Desired Start Date: 09/01/2023
It is the policy of The University of Texas Rio Grande Valley to promote and ensure equal employment opportunities for all individuals without regard to race, color, national origin, sex, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information or protected veteran status. In accordance with the requirements of Title VII of the civil rights act of 1964, the title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, and the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, as amended, our University is committed to comply with all government requirements and ensures non-discrimination in its education programs and activities, including employment. We encourage women, minorities and differently abled persons to apply for employment positions of interest.
UTRGV is a Hispanic-serving Institution dedicated to student success and building a diverse faculty committed to working in a multicultural environment. UTRGV has an NSF ADVANCE grant to increase the representation of women in STEM fields and to promote a positive, family friendly workplace for all faculty. We strongly encourage applications from women and minorities.
Open Date: 09/27/2022
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Dear Applicant, Human Resources will not be held responsible for redacting any confidential information from the documents you attach with your application. The confidential information includes the following: *Date of Birth *Social Security Number *Gender *Ethnicity/Race Please make sure that you omit this information prior to submission. We are advising that Human Resources will be forwarding your application to the department as per your submission.
To apply for this job posting visit: careers.utrgv.edu
UTRGV online APPLICATION1.Letter of Interest (Application stating how your experience and credentials fulfill the requirements for this position (not to exceed two pages)2.Curriculum Vitae 3.Teaching Philosophy – Statement of teaching philosophy and Artistic Philosophy – Statement addressing current creative work about the future of the graphic design discipline (One-page maximum).4.Unofficial transcripts – (graduate and undergraduate – Once hired, an official transcript is required)5.List of 3 References – The list should include three current references, name, title, and contact information such as email address and phone.6.Research Statement: A statement addressing your current creative work about the future of the graphic design discipline (one-page maximum).
7.Multi-Media: Up to 20 digital files (multi-page, single PDF) representing 10 of your creative works (may include time-based excerpts no longer than five minutes each).
8.Other Document:Digital files (multi-page, single PDF) of 10 student works created under your direction.Examples of web/video/animation/motion graphics must be listed as hyperlinks within the PDF file and linked to portfolio websites or video-sharing sites such as Vimeo. Do not upload motion graphics files.
9.Additional Document: An annotated list for both personal and student files. For personal work, state title, media, and date. For student work, provide the course title, media, date, and assignment.
UTRGV is a distributed institution. As such and as assigned, the position may
require presence at multiple locations throughout the Rio Grande Valley. Work is
performed primarily in a general office environment. This position is security sensitive
and thereby subject to the provisions of the Texas Education Code
§51.215. The retirement plan for this position is Teacher Retirement System of
Texas (TRS), subject to the position being at least 20 hours per week and at least
135 days in length. This position has the option to elect the Optional Retirement
Program (ORP) instead of TRS, subject to the position being 40 hours per week
and at least 135 days in length.
Texas law requires faculty members whose primary language is not English to
demonstrate proficiency in English as determined by a satisfactory paper-based
test score of 500 (computer-based of 173 or internet-based of 61) on the Test of
English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or a satisfactory test score of 6.0 on the
International English Language Testing System (IELTS). Incomplete applications will not be considered. All positions are subject to budget approval.
To apply, visit https://careers.utrgv.edu/postings/35896
Copyright ©2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency
I have been writing professionally for over 20 years and have a deep understanding of the psychological and emotional elements that affect people. I’m an experienced ghostwriter and editor, as well as an award-winning author of five novels.